Wednesday, January 15, 2014

The day I became friends with my sister

I used to think my sister hated me. With good reason. I think she told our mom when I was born "I don't like the baby."


So, growing up we weren't all that close. Even when we shared a room, she found every opportunity to kick me out of it. (Hey, I like my clothes all over the floor. Isn't that where normal people keep them? ;)) 



Then, I'm not sure what happened, but when I turned twelve, our relationship went from non-existent, to... pretty tight. 



I think it was because of this one girl's camp we both went to. We were assigned to the same tent, and I was nervous because our shared room thing didn't go very well, and I TOTALLY idolized my sister, so I was hoping I wouldn't piss her off during this week long camp trip with all our friends.



The first day we got there, we were assigned to give our tent a name, and we'd be "so and so" group for assignments like making meals, cleaning meals, etc. Anyway, the whole theme of the camp was an Olympic theme, so OF COURSE me and my sister were like, we're totally the Jamaican bobsled team, because we were obsessed with Cool Runnings and I think that was the only Olympian thing we knew of, lol.



There were five of us in the tent, so we all picked a character and became that character for the week. (I think we annoyed the crap out of everyone else talking in Jamaican accents ALL WEEK LONG, lol) And my sister was Yul Brennor, and I was Junior.

In case you're not familiar with the film (*cough, cough, Kelley!) Yul and Junior have a sparring relationship. They basically hate each other in the beginning, then become the pair of an adorable bromance by the end.



You see where I'm going...

And I'm sorry it's taking SO LONG to get to the point, but the second night we were there, we were walking back to the tent with another tent mate, doing our silly accents and laughing, when we heard something in the bushes next to our tent. 

I instantly freaked out because I don't do creatures of the night. No. No. No. My sister leaned over and was like, "Maybe it's a bunny."

But then it moved again, and we caught a glimpse of the white and black fur, and our friend shouts, "That ain't no bunny!" And we took off!



Above all creatures of the night... the skunk is the one I most fear.



And I don't know if it's because my sister knew this, or because she was playing her Jamaican role, but she made sure she walked with me everywhere during that camp trip because I was terrified of getting sprayed. Whether she did it consciously or subconsciously, I have no idea. But she did, and that was the day our relationship changed. At least for me :) 



We're still tight today, which is good, because now she's a massage therapist, and yanno... the benefits... ;) 

Now after that LOOOONG story, I'm going to reveal the cover for a story where the two sisters go on a trip, and their relationship changes. This book really resonated with me and I can't wait for people to read it. Congrats to Kelley and Jenny, two of my very best friends in this whole wide world on their debut collaboration.


New! From Bloomsbury Spark, a sunny heartwarming story of discovery and sisterhood. 

A road trip. A singing competition. And super-hot cowboys. 

What could be better? 

For Charlie, a post-high school road trip isn't just a vacation, it's life changingWhile her parents think she's helping a friend move, a chance at fame is the real reason to grab her best friends and drive to L.A. But when her super annoying, uber-responsible, younger sister, Lucy, has to tag along, it isn't quite the summer of fun she imagined. 

Add in a detour to her grandparents' ranch in Texas, and between mucking the stalls, down-home cookin’, and drool worthy ranch hands, this could just turn into the best, and most complicated, summer of their lives. 


a Rafflecopter giveaway
Spell dedicated to my sister, Kelley, and Jenny!

Alohamora! 

18 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Bonded by skunk - now that's a story!
Congratulations to Kelley and Jenny.

Jenny S. Morris said...

HA!! I love this sister bonding story. I don't think I've seen this movie. I know about it bet never actually watched it, LOL.

Thank you for helping us out and for all the support you've given. LOVE YOU!!!!

Kyra Lennon said...

I've never seen Cool Runnings, either! :p

That's a great story. I think many sisters kind of... grow into each other as they get older lol.

Rachel Schieffelbein said...

Aw, that's a sweet story. :)
And I totally loved that movie!

Suzi said...

You two even look alike. How close in age are you? Either it wasn't in there or I missed it. :)

Elizabeth Seckman said...

I have two sisters. Yes, they hated me when I was born too, but I've come to grow on them. Just like a fungus.

Kelley Lynn said...

What a fantastic story! It is so much like Charlie and Lucy :) Thanks for helping us out babe. We couldn't ask for better friends.

sydneyaaliyah.com said...

That's great that you became friends when you were 12. My brother and I didn't become friends until we were both in our 20's. We did not get along when we were kids.

sjp said...

Haha I was just think about sisterly relationships as its my youngers birthday today :P we are exact opposites, dont even look alike, always fighting. We were tight at a young age but drifted quite apart ;) but we bond on music which is nice as its the thing I love most!

Rena said...

That's really sweet of your sister. And let's face it, Cool Runnings? That's simply an awesome movie!

Sabrina A. Fish said...

I love this! My sister and I are best friends, though we fought like cats as kids. I love that a skunk brought you together. So funny. Thanks for sharing your sweet story. I'll have to check this one out just for the great intro you gave to get me interested.

Rachel Morgan said...

Ha ha! I love that picture of you and your sister pulling faces! And thanks for sharing the sweet story of how you guys skunk-bonded :-)

Chris said...

Hi Cassie, just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

Gwen Tolios said...

That's so much better than my sister bonding story. It was simply me moving away to go to college and we were like, Skyping all the time. It made, and continues to make, no sense.

Annalisa Crawford said...

I should totally have convinced my sister to become a massage therapist! I wonder if it's too late...

Jess Stork said...

Such a cool story. I bet she did it on purpose.

Nicole said...

Haha, my friend and I were just talking about Cool Runnings earlier tonight. :) Glad you and your sis are so close now, and congrats to Kelley and Jenny!

Robin said...

We love Cool Runnings:) My hubs went to Jamaica on his mission, so he can really chat the patua. Great sister story. And congrats to Kelley and Jenny!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...